- "The Single Nontransferable Vote Electoral System and Its Effectson
Taiwan,"paperpresented at the 1990 Annual Meeting of Asian Studieson the
PacificCoast,Stanford University, June 29-July 1, 1990.
- An Electoral Aspect of Political Development in Taiwan,
1970-1990,"paperpresentedat the Annual Meeting of Asian Studies on the
Pacific Coast,CaliforniaPolytechnicStateUniversity, San Luis Obispo,
June 19- 21, 1992.
- Factional Politics and One-Party Dominance in Taiwan: An
ElectoralPerspective,"paperpresented at he annual meeting of the
WesternConference, AssociationforAsian Studies, University of Arizona,
- Economic Relations Between China and Taiwan: the politics of a
two-levelgame,"paperpresented at the Annual Meeting of the Association
forAsian Studies,LosAngeles, March 25-28, 1993.
- "A Formal Model of One-Party Dominance in Taiwan," paperpresented at
theAnnualMeeting of American Political Science Association,Washington
- 「台灣問題多邊化與台灣安全」，台灣政治學會年會，台北，一九九五 年十二月廿三至廿四日。
- "Secrecy versus Accountability: Arms Procurement Decision Making In
Taiwan,"SIPRI-INPRJoint Conference on Arms Procurement Decision Making :
the Republicof China,Taipei, April 28, 1998.
- "The regional security and political implications of the Asian
FinancialCrisis," UNISC-INPR Joint Conference on Taiwan in the Asia
-Pacific Region,Madrid, Spain, June 11, 1998.
- "The prospects for cross-Strait relations," Joint conference by
Centerfor Applied Policy Research and Interdisciplinary Committee on
East andSoutheast Asian History and Politics,
Ludwig-Maximillians-University, Munich,June 19, 1998.
- "The Impact of East Asian Financial Crisis on Regional Security,"
Seminarco-organized by Institute for National Policy Research (Taipei)
and Institutfrancais des relations internationales (Ifri), Paris, June
- "The Political and Economic Outlook of Taiwan in the midst of the
AsianFinancial Crisis," Department of Political Science, University of
CostaRica. Radisson Hotel, Costa Rica, September 8, 1998.
- "Explaining Civil-Military Relations in Taiwan," Research Protocal
Meeting,East-West Center, Hawaii, U.S.A., Oct. 26-29, 1998.
- "Taiwan's Political Outlook after the 1998 Elections," presented at
theInternational Conference on "ROC on the Threshold of the 21st
Century:A Paradigm Reexamined," sponsored by Sun Yat-san Graduate
Institute ofSocial Science and Humanities, NCCU, Taipei, January 4-5,
- "Changing Civil-Military Relations in Taiwan's Democratization
Process,"presented at "the State and the Soldier in Asia: Investigating
Change andContinuity in Civil-Military Relations" co-sponsored by East
West Center(USA) and Institute of Security and International Studies
(Thailand), April14-17, 1999.
- "Deterrence, Compellence, and Cross-Taiwan Strait Peace," paper
presentedat the International Forum on "Peace and Security in the Taiwan
Strait,"21st Century Foundation and American Enterprise Institue,
Taipei, July26-28, 1999.
- "Crisis Stability in the Taiwan Strait," paper presented at "the
InternationalConference on China in the 21st Century," sponsored by the
Democratic ProgressiveParty, Taipei, November 6-7, 1999.
- "Virtual Peace in the Taiwan Straits," presented at "The Taiwan
PresidentialElections 2000," University of Chicago, April 1, 2000.
- "The Prospects for Cross-Strait Relations," presented at the
workshop on"Presidential Elections on Taiwan and Cross-Strait Relations:
Prospectsand Perspectives," sponsored by the Center for Chinese Studies,
Universityof California, Berkeley, April 5, 2000.
- "Taiwan as a Middle Power on the World Stage," (guest speaker), the
5thCanadian Studies Conference: Canada and Middle Power Diplomacy,
Taipei, March 23, 2001.
- "Implications of the 2001 Legislative Elections for Peace and
Stability in the Taiwan Strait," hosted by Begin-Sadat Center for
Strategic Studies, Bar-Ilan University, Israel, December 31, 2001.
- "President Bush's Asia-Pacific Policy: A view from Taipei,"
CSIS-Chinatrust Roundtable, Taipei, March 26, 2002.
- "Anti-'Black Gold' and Institutionalization of Horizontal
Accountability in Taiwan," presented at the International workshop on
"Challenges to Taiwan's Democracy in the Post-Hegemonic Era,"
cosponsored by Hoover Institution (Stanford) and Institute for National
Policy Research (Taipei), Taipei, June 7-8, 2002.
- "Institutionalization of Horizontal Accountability: The Fight
against 'Black Gold'," Presented at the International Conference on
Challenges to Taiwan's Democracy in the Post-Hegemonic Era, cosponsored
by Hoover Institution and Institute for National Policy Research,
Stanford University, USA, October 31-November 1, 2002.
- "New Leadership Team and New Approaches towards Taiwan?" paper
presented at the 20th International Conference on Asian Affairs on "The Sixteenth CCP Party Congress: China Beyond Jiang
zemin," hosted by the Center for Asian Studies, St John's University,
New York, Nov. 16, 2002.
- "Regional views on US foreign policy: an Asian Perspective,"
presented at the UK-Taiwan Roundtable Conference, hosted by the Royal
United Service Institute, London, UK, June 2-3, 2003.
- "Taiwan's Relations with Mainland China," presented at "Taiwan's
International Relations: Regional and Global Perspectives," workshop
hosted by the SOAS, University of London, London, June 6, 2003.
- "Presidential Elections and Cross-Strait Relations," paper presented
at the International Conference on "The Rise of China and Its
Implications in US-Taiwan-China Relations," hosted by the Institute of
European and American Studies, Academia Sinica, Oct. 18-19, 2003.
- "Anti-Terrorism Campaigns, SARS, and Taipei-Beijing
Interactions," paper presented at the 21st International
Conference on Asian Affairs on "Anti-Terrorism, War,
SARS and the Asia-Pacific Security Environment," hosted by the Center
for Asian Studies, St John's University, New York, Nov. 1, 2003.
- "Taiwan's Presidential Elections and Cross-Strait Relations,"
presented at Taiwan Studies Programme Seminar, hosted by Asian Studies
Center of St Antony's College, Oxford University, Nov. 25, 2003.
Progress in East Asia and Its Security Implications," presented at
Taiwan-Australia Security Dialogue, hosted by Ministry of Foreign
Affairs, Taipei, May 10, 2004.
- "Foreign Policy Implications of Taiwan's 2004 Presidential
at the conference on "Taiwan's Domestic, International and Cross-Strait
Politics in President Chen Shui-bian's Second Term," hosted by Asian
Studies Center (LSE) and Institute for National Policy Research, London,
UK, June 12, 2004.
- "Taiwan's 2004 Presidential Elections: the day after," paper
presented at the international conference on "Taiwan's New Challenges:
Politics, Policies and Cross-Strait Relations," hosted by East Asian
Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore, June 21, 2004.
- "Implications of the Legislative Elections for US-Taiwan Relations,"
presented at the international conference on "Taiwan-US-China Relations
After the Legislative Elections," Formosa Foundation, Taipei, December
- "Leadership Personality and Party Politics in Taiwan since 2000,"
presented at the 34th Sino-American Conference on "Personality and the
Changing Structure of Politics in Greater China," University of
Virginia, USA, April 29-May 1, 2005.
- 「美中台關係的變與不變」， 「第十四屆海峽兩岸關係學術研討會」，全國台灣研究會，河南鄭州，2005年8月2 - 4日。
- "Rise of China and Accommodation of Interests," presented at the
14th Taipei-Seoul Forum on "Regional Security and Development,"
co-sponsored by Institute of International Relations, NCCU and the Seoul
Forum for International Affairs, Taipei, Nov. 19-20, 2005.
- 「九六年台海危機以來的台日中關係」， 「台海危機十週年研討會」，中華民國國防政策與戰略研究學會，台北，2006年3月11日。
- "Changing balance of power in the wake of the East Asia Summit,"
presented at the 4th Taipei-Tokyo Strategic Dialogue, sponsored by
National Cheng-chi University, Taipei, March 12, 2006.
- "Taiwan's Foreign Aid Policy in Transition ," presented at the
International Conference on "the Retrospect and Prospect of Taiwan's
International Cooperation and Development," cosponsored by ICDF and
Taiwan Thinktank,Taipei, July 1, 2006.
- 「轉變中的東亞戰略環境」， 2006台日論壇「中國的發展與今後之亞洲」，中華歐亞基金會、世界和平研究所，台北，2006年7月16日。
- "East Asian Security Environment in Transition," presented at
conference on "Contemporary Security Dilemmas: Reflections on Security
in Central Europe and East Asia, hosted by University of West Bohemia,
Czech Republic, Oct. 31, 2006.
- 「國際情勢下的台灣民主:美國對台灣憲改之態度」， 「台灣民主崛起的現實與展望 」研討會，民主進步黨，台北，2007年1月29日。
- 「正名制憲與台灣認同」， 「制憲的困境與突破」論壇，台灣人公共事務會、群策會合辦，台北，2007年3月4日。
- "The Rise of China and the Role of Taiwan," presented at
"International Conference on Taiwan's Rise to Democracy: Realities and
Prospects," Democratic Progressive Party, Taipei, April 15, 2007.
- "An Inconvenient Truth: the rise of Taiwanese identity and its
impacts," presented at conference on "Nationalism, Globalization
and Regional Security in Northeast Asia" , hosted by London School of
Economics and Political Science, London, May 12, 2007.
- "U.S.-Taiwan Partnership in
Drift：balancing democracy and
stability," presented at international conference on "The
Washington-Taipei-Beijing Relations: variables and prospects," hosted by
Foundation on International and Cross-Strait Studies, Taipei, December
- "Taiwan's Democratization after the
Strongmen: Leadership Matters," presented at the International Conference on "After
the Strongmen: Democracy or Alternative Political System in Asia,"
hosted by Center for Asia-Pacific Area Studies, RCHSS, Academia Sinica,
Taiwan and Asia Studies Centre, St Antony's College, University of
Oxford, UK, in Taipei, July 3-4, 2008.